Prepare for your Performance Planning Meeting
The Performance Planning meeting with your supervisor is a foundational part of the Performance Excellence process. This meeting may occur directly following or within 30 days of your Annual Review. If you are a new employee, the Performance Planning meeting should occur within 30 days of your hire date.
What to Expect at the Meeting:
- Clarify priorities and expectations for the coming year.
- Set performance/development goals.
- Agree upon development opportunities you will complete.
- Goals should address unit/department business needs. May also incorporate your related interests or career goals.
- Be prepared to have a collaborative conversation that can yield benefits for you, your department and MSU.
Tips & Tools to Prepare:
- Think about specific business needs of your unit and ideas for improvement. What might you need to further enhance or learn new skills for in order to continue to be successful?
- What are your strengths? In what areas could you improve?
- What are you passionate about?
- What is the number one thing you do to help your unit/department achieve its goals?
- What are your short term career goals (1-3 years)?
- Long term career goals (3+ years)?
- Write down your goal ideas and then find training or other development opportunities that would help you reach these goals. Could you take a professional development course? Use online resources through elevateU?
- Identify job responsibilities that may have changed in the past year that should be updated in your job description.
- Use the Goal Setting and Development Plan Form to identify goals to discuss with your supervisor.