making people matter
- Actions support his/her words;
- Maintains a reputation for honesty, candor, confidentiality, fairness and reliability;
- Protects the interests of people who aren't present;
- Judges substance, not image;
- Offers status reports and keeps others appropriately informed;
- Follows-up on commitments made in a timely, accurate and complete basis;
- Makes position clear on difficult issues.
- Sets an example by consistently modeling high standards of performance, honesty, and integrity;
- Is willing to change his/her mind when given new information;
- Makes sure all ideas receive fair consideration.
- Attentive to and understands the views of others;
- Demonstrates an awareness of own style and how it affects others, and makes adjustments as necessary;
- Resolves interpersonal problems in the workplace;
- Responds positively to constructive suggestions;
- Displays objectivity in assessing situations;
- Develops and maintains positive work relationships with others.
- Creates a "can-do" climate;
- Approaches others in a pleasant, happy and upbeat manner;
- Maintains enthusiasm despite criticism of ideas;
- Demonstrates support to unit/University mission;
- Demonstrates an "I care" attitude.
- Promotes systems and processes that encourage and reward the development of people at all levels of the organization;
- Says "Thank you" and "Great job" on a regular basis;
- Recognizes and/or rewards others for their contributions and commitment in a manner that corresponds with the employee's values.
- Acknowledges personal responsibility in conflict situations;
- Directly communicates with persons involved in disagreements;
- Effectively manages conflict between organizational units with the appropriate individuals initially involved;
- Identifies and constructively addresses disagreements which undermine performance;
- Encourages people to bring difficult issues into the open;
- Uses the strength of the facts, rather than the loudness of argument;
- Resolves differences between people using persuasion, diplomacy and logic;
- Keeps conflict resolution professional and not personal;
- Manages conflict with others in ways that preserve good relations;
- Offers open exploration of differing ideas and solutions within the team.
- Treats all people with dignity;
- Demonstrates compassion, consideration, and caring;
- Believes/assumes the best in others;
- Demonstrates care for health and safety of others;
- Values contributions of others;
- Works to build others' value with positive impact to all;
- Speaks up on behalf of others when differences are not respected.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Realizes differences in people as opportunities to learn;
- Contributes to an environment where differences are valued and encouraged.
- Puts his/herself in "another's position" and demonstrates compassion, consideration, and caring;
- Understands all points of view with empathy.