Section 1 Remote Hire Instructions for Employees
MSU’s Remote Hire Process is for employees who are unable to come to campus to complete Section 1 of the Form I-9 on or before the first date of hire and/or Section 2 within three days of the first date of hire. MSU utilizes I-9 Anywhere with Equifax, which allows electronic completion of the Form I-9 by an Authorized Representative identified by you and located within proximity to you. Please use the following instructions when completing Section 1 of the Form I-9:
- Set an appointment with the Authorized Representative and send their contact information (including name and email) to MSU HR at HR.I9Admin@hr.msu.edu. You will receive a response email from MSU HR with the link to proceed to the next step.
- Use the link provided in the email to complete Section 1 of the Form I-9.
- Complete the fillable form and click
Note: You can hover over the form fields for a description of what is required in each.
- If there are errors, click Change Information or select the Back button at the bottom of the page.
- Correct the errors and repeat step 4 until the red error messages are resolved.
- Click Continue and review the information.
- If no corrections are needed, review and electronically sign the attestation statement.
- Click Continue. A new page will display with your receipt code. It is recommend you either print this page out or email it to yourself to complete the next steps and for your records.
- When you meet with the Section 2 completer, provide him/her with the receipt code.
Note: If you are unable to locate the receipt code, contact MSU HR at HR.I9Admin@hr.msu.edu or 517-353-4434.
- Prior to the appointment you scheduled with the Authorized Representative, review the List of Acceptable Documents (PDF). Bring one original document from List A OR documents from both List B AND List C to the appointment.
If you experience any technical difficulties, please contact MSU HR at HR.I9Admin@hr.msu.edu for assistance.