Qualifying Life Event: Loss of a Loved One
Loss of a Loved One Checklist:
Updating Benefit Plans:
- Contact MSU Human Resources if your dependent was covered under any of your benefits or was someone who has a life/accident insurance policy under you.
Other items you may want to consider as a result of your loss of a loved one:
- Contact the MSU WorkLife Office and Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for information on services that are available to help cope with loss and grief.
- If applicable complete a Loss of Previous Coverage form to enroll in benefits.
- Contact your supervisor if you plan to attend the funeral
- The number of paid bereavement days you are eligible for depends on your relationship to the deceased.
- To be eligible for paid time off to attend the funeral or make necessary arrangement for a member of your immediate family, you must be a regular employee working half time or more.
- Eligibility for this benefit begins on date of hire, rehire or change to regular employment.
- Review your specific contract for definition of immediate family and member of the household.
- Report the time you attend the funeral in the EBS Portal.
- If your loss was someone not covered under the bereavement leave provisions of your contract you need to report the time you attend the funeral as personal or vacation leave.
- Change your Beneficiary Designation for any life/accident insurance policies you may have.
- Contact your retirement investment sponsor(s) directly to change your retirement plan beneficiary designation.