Qualifying Life Event: Adoption, Birth or Legal Guardianship
Adoption, Birth or Legal Guardianship Checklist:
Enrolling New Dependent in Benefit Plans
- Submit copy of certificate of birth, or legal/court documents to MSU Human Resources within 30 days of birth or adoption/legal guardianship and
- Complete Add Family Member or Dependent Form through EBS Portal within 30 days of birth or adoption/legal guardianship.
- Once documents are processed, enroll child in benefits through EBS.
- For more detailed information regarding adding your dependent, please contact Human Resources at 517-353-4434 or SolutionsCenter@hr.msu.edu
Other items you may want to consider as a result of your adoption, birth or legal adoption:
- Find out if you qualify for Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) coverage.
- If you are eligible, you must provide your department with at least 30 days advance notice before FMLA leave is to begin if the need for the leave is foreseeable. If 30 days notice is not practicable due to lack of knowledge as to when leave will be required, notice must be given as soon as practicable.
- If applicable, charge any time that you use for prenatal doctor’s visits to FMLA.
- Find out what effect the qualified life event may have on changes to your childcare.
- Change your Beneficiary Designation for any life/accident insurance policies you may have.
- Contact your retirement investment sponsor(s) directly to make beneficiary changes.
- Contact MSU WorkLife Office for information on childcare, parenting, breastfeeding, MSU babysitters and an activity fun guide.
- Contact Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for information on counseling services that are available.
- Apply for a social security number for your new child at the nearest Social Security Office.