MSU Human Resources >> News feeds >> Teaching Moment: How to Handle Student VISA Requests

Teaching moment: how to handle student visa requests

As a faculty or academic staff member with teaching responsibilities, you may receive requests for accommodations by students with disabilities. MSU is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities. When students make requests for accommodations, they should present a verified individual services accommodation (VISA) form to you. The VISA is issued by the Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities (RCPD) after the student has identified and registered a disability and RCPD has conducted a thorough needs assessment.

The VISA documents the students’ needs and enables them to communicate these needs to you. Students are responsible for initiating communication with you about their needs as outlined on the VISA. Likewise, you are responsible for maintaining confidentiality and for facilitating accommodations. The VISA should be presented to you at the start of the term and/or two weeks prior to the accommodation date (e.g., test, project).

RCPD has provided model statements for requesting accommodations to help students, faculty and staff be more inclusive at MSU. In order to include students in all course activities, professors are strongly encouraged to use the suggested model statement in course syllabi.For more information and resources about this process, visit the RCPD website.