Health Care Coverage Update for Autism Spectrum Disorder
A recent update was made to the health care benefit for the treatment of Autism Spectrum Disorder under MSU health plans. Effective May 1, 2018, occupational therapy, physical therapy and speech and language pathology services for the treatment of autism will not be subject to annual visit limitations. The previous combined maximum of 60 visits per calendar year has been removed.
Health care coverage for the treatment of Autism Spectrum Disorder includes the following:
- Treatment focused on managing and improving the symptoms directly related to the individual's Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Recommended therapy care including:
- Occupational therapy, speech and language therapy and physical therapy
- Applied Behavioral Analysis - therapy focused on improving specific behaviors
- Outpatient mental health therapy
- Social skills training
- Genetic testing
- Nutritional therapy
A decision by your health insurer or plan that these health care services are medically necessary (prior authorization) must be obtained before the individual seeks service.
Copays for visits under this particular health care benefit are $20.00 per visit.