MSU Human Resources >> News feeds >> New EBS Absence Codes

New EBS Absence Codes

Effective July 1, there will be two new absence codes in EBS you can use to track your time. The new codes will be:

  • Vacation Instead of Sick – 2901
  • Personal Instead of Sick – 2961

When you should use the codes

You should use these codes only when you have used up accrued sick time but still need to take an absence due to your own sickness or disability.
Note: This is separate from situations that qualify under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).

Under union contracts and personnel policies, you can use personal or vacation time accruals in place of sick time. This update will allow your unit to more accurately track the type of time employees are taking within EBS. Time will be deducted from the corresponding balance, i.e. if an employee enters eight hours of time under Vacation Instead of Sick, eight hours will be deducted from the employee’s vacation balance.

When you should NOT use the codes

You can view the full list of Absence and Attendance Codes in EBS on the MSU HR website.

Contact the Solutions Center with questions at or 517-353-4434.