Michigan State Unemployment Insurance
Michigan State unemployment benefits provide temporary compensation to those workers meeting the eligibility requirements of Michigan law. Eligibility requires that individuals must:
1. Be unemployed or experienced a significant reduction in work hours
2. File a claim/report for benefits as directed by the Unemployment Agency
3. Be able to work
4. Be available for work
5. Be actively seeking work
6. Participate in re-employment/job search activities (Michigan Works! Agency, Michigan Talent Bank)
Unemployment Insurance Agency manages unemployment taxes and insurance, and it provides two ways to file for unemployment benefits.
1. Apply via the Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency website
2. File by calling toll-free telephone number at 1-866-500-0017. The scheduled time for filing by phone is based on the last two digits of your Social Security number.
Financial Management Assistance
The MSU Federal Credit Union is prepared to assist laid off MSU employees with education and information regarding such issues as budgeting, avoiding foreclosure, debt consolidation, debt reduction and loan programs. You can also access the MSU Federal Credit Union website or call 1-800-MSU-4-YOU (1-800-678-4968) for more information.