MSU Human Resources >> Hiring >> Studentemployment >> Verifying SSN for Student Employees

Verifying SSN for Student Employees

MSU must verify that student employee earnings turned into the IRS are recorded under the correct social security number and name. In an effort to save staff and student time in processing student employees for payroll, the following procedures are now in effect:

New Student Employees

  • If the new student employee has a social security card, the hiring department must verify in EBS that the student's social security number and name are correct/same as on social security card.
  • You will enter the number in EBS & check the name verified box on the form.
  • If the new student employee has a social security number but does not have the social security card:
    • The student is given 3 weeks to obtain a duplicate card and can apply on line or at Social Security Administration Office, 5210 Perry Robinson Court (2 blocks west of Cedar off Jolly Road).
    • The student must bring their duplicate social security card to the hiring department when she/he receives it, and then fax a copy of the card to Student Employment at  2-3862. 
    • If the student does not bring their card within 3 weeks, the student's position(s) will be terminated. 

International students without Social Security Number - First time Hire at the University
The situation with international students continues to change as the federal government revises the rules governing international students. The Student Employment Office will notify departments when rules change.

  • Complete and print the "Social Security Letter for F-1 or J-1 Students" form on the OISS website. (Follow the "click here to review" link).
  • The student takes the signed "Social Security Letter for F-1 or J-1 Students" form to OISS and an OISS staff member will sign the form verifying that the student has met enrollment requirements and completed the proper paperwork for employment. (May include completing the I9.)
  • The student goes to the Social Security Administration with all required paperwork and applies for a new Social Security number. International students can apply for a social security number at the Social Security Administration Office after being in the U.S. for 15 days. They cannot apply online.
  • The student takes the receipt from the Social Security Administration and the original I-9 form back to the hiring department. 
  • The hiring departments completes the hire in EBS. 
  • The original I-9 and the receipt from Social Security Administration must be sent to MSU Student Employment, 110 Nisbet. 
  • Once the student has received their social security card, please fax a copy to Student Employment, 2-3862.
Print this page