Choosing the Correct Sub-Object Code
When working with cost (re-)distributions (including the distribution section of HR forms), the use of the Sub-Object Code (Cost Center) is an option for departments who use this accounting string data element.
Knowing which Sub-Object Code to choose can be a challenge. Sub-Object Codes for compensation are tied to an employee type, therefore the proper sub-object must be chosen to prevent an error.
Here is how to look up the proper Sub-Object Code before attempting funding entries in the HR/Payroll System.
Finding the Correct Code
From the EBS Portal, follow these steps:
- Go into the Financial System
- In the Lookup and Maintenance section, under the Chart of Accounts heading, choose the link “Sub Object Code”
- Enter the Account number (e.g. GA123456) and click “Search”
- In the Object Code column, click each of the values. A new screen will open. The Object Code Name will indicate for which type of employee the code should be used
- Take note of the proper code for use later
Using the Correct Code
From the Cost Distribution section of a HR form, pay change, or cost (re-)redistribution:
- Enter the appropriate fund (account) and hit the Enter key
- Scroll to the Cost Center column. Using the lookup (KFS Sub-object Search Help), enter the Chart (e.g. “MS”) and Account (e.g. “GA123456”) then click Find (binocular button)
- The Sub-Object Codes will load, select the proper one determined by looking them up in the Financial System (step #4 above)
- Pressing the Enter key will check to make sure the values are correct before submitting the change