Application to Retire
PROBLEM? Receive a blank screen in the EBS Portal? Navigate back to the EBS Portal home and click the tile again. (It will load the second time; this is a temporary issue).
This application contains an Adobe Interactive form, and therefore is only compatible with Microsoft Internet Explorer.
The following information is provided as a guide to completing the Application to Retire form. We suggest the form be submitted at least 90 days prior to the official retirement date.
1. Required Sections on the Form
- My Last Day Actively at Work (Support Staff only) - This should be the last day you are physically going into your work place. Please use the drop-down box to select the date or enter the date in mm/dd/yyyy format.
- Vacation checkboxes (Support Staff only) - Select the one box that applies to how you elect to be compensated for your vacation quotas. Any vacation quotas used prior to your retirement effective date need to be reported by your department in the EBS Time Management section. All vacation quotas not taken will be paid in a lump sum payment.
- Retirement Effective Date - This is the first date you no longer are being paid, and will be your official retirement date. Please use the drop-down box to select your date or enter the date in mm/dd/yyyy format. Note: An Academic Year (AY) appointment usually results in an official retirement date of May 16.
- Retirement Acknowledgment Box - Check this box. You are acknowledging that you have only 7 days to revoke (cancel) your retirement request.
2. Optional Sections on the Form
- Consultantship Request (Faculty/Academic Staff only) - If eligible for a terminal consultantship year, complete the dates requested. Dates should be entered in mm/dd/yyyy format. Additional documentation, as defined on the form, will be required to be attached to the form.
- Special Circumstances - Check only if you have the special circumstance that applies to your retirement request. Additional documentation will be required. A Leave to Retirement requires your department to complete a Leave of Absence form in EBS.
- New Comments - This area is for employees to note additional information or concerns. (Support Staff: If you would like to defer your quotas into a supplemental retirement account, please provide this information in Comments and MSU HR will contact you regarding your request.)
3. Printing Your Form - We suggest printing two copies of your form before submitting; one for yourself and one for your department.
4. Submit Your Form - Select the Check and Send button at the top of the screen. Then select the Send button to complete.
Please note: To add attachments to your retirement form, scan your document and use the Attachment and Help Lookup bar located at the top of the form to attach the document.
- This application contains and Adobe Interactive form, so only Internet Explorer can be used.
- Browse mode is recommended for the NVDA screen reader.
- Exiting the Adobe document is difficult. Follow these steps:
- Use the F10 key to exit the form when done. This will take the keyboard focus to the browser toolbar.
- In the browser toolbar, navigate to Edit, then "Find on this page...." Do not use the Control and F keys to launch the search, it may invoke the Adobe document search rather than the browser search.
- From the browser search, look for the search term "Next." Then use the tab key which will take the focus to the toolbar.
- After "Next", use NVDA key and the spacebar to return to Browse Mode, then use the B key to go to the "Submit" button.