Student Employee Grievance Procedure
The Student Employee Grievance Procedure:
Step I: If a student employee believes that a violation of policy has occurred, the student must meet with her/his supervisor within 5 business days of the alleged violation. An earnest attempt must be made by both parties to resolve the problem.
Step II: If the student does not feel the situation has been satisfactorily resolved, s/he must discuss the problem with the department head or a designated representative within 5 business days from the discussion with the immediate supervisor.
Step III: Should the student still feel the problem has not been satisfactorily resolved, s/he must contact MSU Student Employment within 5 business days. If all parties to the grievance agree to participate, MSU Student Employment will arrange for mediation of the dispute. The goal of this mediation is to reduce obstacles to communication and to address the concerns and needs of all parties. If all parties to the grievance do not agree to participate in mediation, the grievance will proceed immediately to Step IV.
- The mediator shall be an impartial representative of MSU Student Employment, usually the Student Employment Coordinator.
- The mediator will help identify and clarify the issues by discussion with the parties, and help the parties to evaluate the benefits, risks and costs of the possible outcomes.
- The mediator has no decision-making authority.
- Outcomes must be mutually acceptable to all parties.
Step IV: Should mediation fail to satisfactorily resolve the issue for all parties, the student may file a written grievance within 5 business days with MSU Student Employment for resolution by the Student Employee Grievance Review Panel.
- The written grievance must specify the alleged violation of policy, including the dates of the alleged violation, underlying facts, and all other relevant information. The grievance must also include a statement of the remedy sought. The Student Employment Grievance Review Panel shall have no authority to take disciplinary action against individuals.
- The MSU Student Employment Coordinator will send a copy of the written grievance to the department being grieved, and request a written response within 5 business days. More time may be allowed at the discretion of the Student Employment Coordinator.
- The student filing the grievance and the employing department shall receive copies of the Grievance Review Panel procedures, the grievance and the response to the grievance.
- The Student Employment Grievance Review Panel will be convened to consider the grievance and render a decision based on the facts presented.
- MSU Student Employment will be responsible for convening the committee and providing all necessary information and copies of paperwork needed for the committee.
- If the Panel beleive further explanation is needed, the Grievance Review Panel may request either:
- Additional information in writing from the parties; or
- Testimony in person before the Grievance Review Panel. If testimony is requested:
- The staff member named in the grievance may be accompanied by another MSU department staff member, if requested.
- The student filing the grievance may be accompanied by another MSU student or staff/faculty member, if requested.
- No one may be present who is not a MSU student, faculty or staff member unless a special exception is granted by the Grievance Review Panel.
- The Grievance Review Panel will render a written decision within 10 business days of the hearing.
- The decision of the Student Employment Grievance Review Panel is final and binding.
- All steps in the grievance procedure are confidential to the maximum extent allowed by law.
- The panel shall consist of 2 staff representatives selected by MSU Student Employment from student employee hiring units, and 1 student representative appointed by the Vice President of Student Affairs & Services.
- No member of the grievance panel shall be from the department whose situation is being grieved.
- Grievance Review Panel membership shall be for two years, on a staggered basis.
- If a staff panel member is unable to take part in the grievance process, an alternate delegate will be selected by MSU Student Employment. If the student delegate is not able to take part in the grievance process, an alternate delegate selected by the Vice President of Student Affairs & Services will participate.