Medicare And Social Security
For details about Medicare, including coverage and premium cost, see their website or contact your local Social Security office. Use the Social Security Locator to find your local office. The Lansing office is available 877-512-5944 or 5210 Perry Robinson Circle, Lansing, MI 48911.
If you are an active employee insured under a MSU health plan, and are age 65 or older (or have a spouse and/or other insured eligible dependents who is Medicare eligible), you may delay enrollment in Medicare until retirement.
Current or Future MSU Retirees
Retirees under age 65 (their spouse and/or other insured eligible dependents) should contact Medicare to enroll for Medicare Parts A (Hospital) & B (Medical) at least three months prior to reaching age 65.
Retirees age 65 and older (their spouse and/or other insured eligible dependents) should contact Medicare to enroll for Medicare Parts A (Hospital) & B (Medical) at least three months prior to retirement. You may be eligible for a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) requiring completion of Medicare's Request For Employment Information form, which MSU Human Resources will sign.
Failure to enroll in Medicare as described above will result in claims being rejected that will not be paid by MSU. In addition, there could be a penalty added to the premium for not enrolling timely.
Please provide a copy of all Medicare identification cards to Human Resources.
- If you retire in the month you turn 65 or during the three months following your 65th birthday, you will need to contact Medicare in advance of your 65th birthday to enroll.
- Your spouse and/or other insured eligible dependents will need to enroll in Medicare Parts A & B when eligible even if you (the retiree) are not yet eligible.
- Medicare Part B requires a monthly premium, that is not reimbursed by MSU. Contact Medicare for information on the applicable premium.
- Retirees and enrolled dependents eligible for Medicare, do not need to enroll in Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Coverage.
- If anyone covered on your health plan is eligible for Medicare due to disability, they must be enrolled in Medicare Parts A & B following your retirement.
There are multiple ways to apply for Social Security Benefits
- Connect to the Social Security website to apply online.
- For an appointment (telephone or in person), call Social Security at 800-772-1213. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you may call the "TTY" number at 800-325-0778 for assistance.
- Use the Social Security Locator or call Social Security to find a local office in your region. The Lansing office is available at 877-512-5944, and 5210 Perry Robinson Circle, Lansing, MI 48911.